Hearty Chicken & Veggie Soup
'Tis the season for ... SOUP.
It's hearty, it's healthy, it's comforting, it's delicious. What more can a gal ask for?!
Oo ditty, I love holiday treats. But all those goodies oftentimes leave me feeling sugared and sluggish. This soup recipe is uber easy-peasy to cook up, and packs a healthy veggie punch to revive you from that santa-sugared coma!
It looks like a lot of ingredients, but it's honestly just boneless, skinless chicken breast, broth, and a mix of whatever veggies you like, or have on hand. The prep is fairly easy. Come on, this beezy bee wouldn't lead you astray!
[Hearty Chicken and Veggie Soup]
- 1 1/2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 quart chicken bone broth
- 1/2 quart chicken broth [feel free to add the full quart; but I like mine more veggie-filled and less brothy!]
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 small peeled and chopped zucchini
- 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped parsnip
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Shimmy shake of ground turmeric (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Squeeze of a medium lemon
- Precook your chicken [this is my preference; but you could add the raw pieces to the hot simmering liquid to boil it]. Line a baking pan with parchment paper, add your chicken breasts, a lil S&P, and cook at 350 for about 20-25 min.
- In a large saucepan add coconut oil, chopped onions, celery, ginger, a squeeze of lemon and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes to soften.
- Then add the broth, carrots, parsnips, turmeric and 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 10 min.
- Add the broccoli, peas and zucchini. Continue to simmer to soften the veggies.
- Meanwhile, your chicken should be finished cooking. Remove from oven, chop or shred the chicken breasts, and stir it back into the soup.
Enjoy! At this point the soup is ready; however, for this batch I then transferred all of the ingredients into my crockpot and let simmer for another hour or so. I felt like this helped bring it all together and let the flavors further develop. YUM.