Zi Lady's Birthday Bash: Baby-'Nana Cupcakes
I am one proud Auntie B! Zaylia, my niece, celebrated her first birthday this weekend. How exciting! It was a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. [b-e-a-u-itful]. The sun was shining and we were ready to party.
And what better way to celebrate Zi-lady's birthday than with [claps and snaps] ... ZEBRAS! Yep, yep the decor consisted of stripes on stripes, black on white, and a dash of pink! And of course, lil Zi was the ultimate fashion-forward babe in her zebra onesie, embellished with a 'Z' on her behind. Kudos to her crafty mom for that extra detail!
I cannot believe how quickly the Zi is growing up! There was an adorable timeline of photos documenting each month of her first year. Such a cutie. I still remember meeting her in the hospital for the first time - all bundled up and such a bitty b! And now, at her first birthday, I'm watching her stand [wobble, wobble] by herself ... and even begin to take some first [assisted] steps forward. Oo girl, Auntie B can't WAIT until you start movin' and groovin' - we won't be able to catch up :) You are growing into the cutest little lady with such a fun personality - lots of lil baby giggles, a slight sass [pow, pow] and... spit bubbles. Auntie b must admit, it's a pretty cool trick!
Family and friends surrounded Zi as we unwrapped her presents. She was the star of the show, duh, as she should be! She wore a cute lil party hat and LOVED her maracas. Shimmy shake.
The food was fantastic. My brother and sister-in-law cooked up quite the BBQ spread! We had pulled pork sammies with pretzel buns, coleslaw, grilled corn on the cob, and a build-your-own potato boat bar. Yumzo.
And the CAKE... that's the most important part, right?! My sister-in-law decided to bake a healthier version of baby smash cupcakes. There was skepticism amongst the group, but they turned out really well! Beezy approved! She shared the recipe with me so I figured I'd add it to this post as well! Sharing is caring. The cupcakes are made without butter or refined sugars and are 100% wholegrain. The key sweetening ingredients include ripened bananas and apple sauce. We'll call them baby-'nana cakes! They are sweet and delicious, sans the suga-suga!
She topped them with a maple cream cheese frosting. And yes, this part of the recipe did include a smidgen of butter, but you're in control of how much or how little you want to add to each individual cake!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk (whole preferred)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*FYI Zulay doubled this recipe, for a total of about 20-24 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Place banana, applesauce, milk, and maple syrup in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl and whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the individual cupcake liners. Bake for about 14-16 minutes. Check with a lil prick of a toothpick in the center of one cupcake. If it comes out clean, you're good to go!
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting.
- Use a mixer to begin to cream the butter. Slowly add the cream cheese and beat together until smooth.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well.
And if you have any doubts about butter-less, sugar-less cupcakes, take a cue from Zi-lady. She's lovin' it :)
Hugs and kisses on your FIRST birthday my lil Zi. Auntie B is so, so excited to continue to watch you grow. Enjoy those summer strolls in your new cozy coupe! Once you get enough practice, maybe your mom and dad will let you take a drive down to visit me in Chicago. Zoom, zoom. I'll teach you how to do donuts in the parking garage... just jokes, J and Z :)
adios & besos!